• Who is the Sheriff of Muscogee County?
  • The current Sheriff of Muscogee County is Sheriff Gregory D. Countryman, and the current Chief Deputy is Larry Parker, Jr.
  • What are the responsibilities of the Sheriff of Muscogee County?
  • The sheriff has the Responsibility of Protecting Life and Property and reserving the Public Peace. This includes all law enforcement functions associated with those endeavors. The Sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer in Muscogee County. In addition to providing physical security in the courtrooms and building, the sheriff must serve as Bailiff to the Superior Court, or designate deputies to serve in that capacity.
  • Where is the Muscogee County Sheriff's Office?
  • The Muscogee County Sheriff's Office is located on the 4th Floor of the Government Center in downtown Columbus, Georgia.
  • What is the Sheriff's annual budget?
  • The annual budget of the Sheriff's Office is approximately $25 million annually.
  • How do I apply for a position with the Sheriff's Office?
  • Call the Sheriff's Office Administrative Bureau at (706) 653-4225 for employment information.
  • How do I contact or telephone someone in the agency?
  • To contact someone in the Sheriff's Office, call (706) 653-4225.
  • How can I find out if someone is in the Muscogee County Jail, when someone in the jail can be visited and any other information about persons in the County Jail?
  • Call the Muscogee County Sheriff's Office County Jail, (706) 653-4258, for any information about someone in the County Jail or any questions pertaining directly to the County Jail's operations.
  • Can I make a police report at any time of day, and do I need to make an appointment?
  • The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to any requests for assistance.
  • Can I make a police report over the telephone or does an officer have to come to my house?
  • Some reports can be taken over the telephone by the Sheriff's Office. The receiving officer that answers your call can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone.
  • Why was a card from the Sheriff's Office was left at my door?
  • Most likely, a Deputy Sheriff left the card. This means the Sheriff's Office has a civil paper, warrant, or subpoena for someone at this address. Call the Sheriff's Office at (706) 653-4225 to inquire.
  • I have left my spouse and am living elsewhere but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the Sheriff's Office help me?
  • The Sheriff's Office will send an officer to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings. Call the police from a public telephone near to where your belongings are, and an officer will go to the house with you. You must have a court order to retrieve belongings. If you do not have a court order, you must contact an attorney to have one drawn up. The Sheriff's Office will escort you once the court papers have been served.
  • Can the Sheriff's Office help me collect child support payments?
  • The Sheriff's Office serves and enforces orders from the Courts concerning child support but does not collect child support payments. Any assistance or questions you may have about child support can be obtained from Child Support Recovery at (706) 649-1000 or Maximus at (706) 653-9682.
  • Does the MCSO offer fingerprinting services? Where? How much does it cost?
  • Fingerprinting is available from the MCSO between the hours of 8:00am to 11:30am and 1:00pm to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. This service is provided for $5.00 per each fingerprint card. The person must have a fingerprint card at the time of the fingerprinting. The agency or company requesting the fingerprints should supply the card. The MCSO does have fingerprint cards if needed (FD-258). A person must present a picture ID at the time he/she is fingerprinted.
  • Does the MCSO offer passport photo services? Where? How much does it cost?
  • Passport photo services are available from the MCSO between the hours of 8:00am to 11:30am and 1:00pm to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. This service is provided for $15.00 which includes two passport photos.
  • Does the Sheriff's Office issue public identification cards?
  • The Sheriff's Office does not issue ID cards. ID cards can be obtained through the Driver's License Bureau. You may call (706) 569-3033 or 569-3034.
  • How do I obtain personal background check?
  • A personal background check can be done at the MCSO through the Administrative Warrants Section. The full name, date of birth, race, sex, and social security number of the persons who needs the clearance must be provided, as well as a signed waiver giving permission to research this information. A letter will be provided stating either "no local record" or "record." If the subject has a local record, a printout of the arrest history will be attached.
  • Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
  • The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The receiving officer who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address, but you may refuse this information and we will still respond to the report. If it is an emergency, call 911.
  • What types of crime prevention awareness programs are offered by the MCSO?
  • The MCSO offers a variety of crime prevention programs. Individuals, businesses, schools, organizations, and churches can contact the Sheriff's Office to schedule a crime prevention presentation customized especially for their needs.
  • What services are available for victims and witnesses of a crime?
  • Services are available for victims and witnesses of a crime through the District Attorney's Office, (706) 653-4336, Victim/Witness Assistance Program, (706) 653-4426, and the Office of the Solicitor General, (706) 653-4580.
  • How can I get a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Georgia?
  • To obtain a gun permit, you will need to apply at the Probate Court Office in the Tower of the Government Center. Their number is (706) 653-4331.

    Requirements to obtain a pistol permit:
    1. Must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible lawful alien. (Additional documentation required to establish alien status).
    2. Must be 21 years of age.
    3. Must be a resident of Muscogee County or Active-Duty U.S. Armed Forces and reside in Columbus/Fort Benning.
    4. Required documentation:
    a.) A copy of Birth Certificate or U.S. Passport AND Driver's License/State ID showing current Muscogee County address.
    b.) Active-Duty U.S. Armed Forces who have an out of state Driver's License must also provide a current lease or a current utility bill (power, water or gas only) showing Muscogee County/Fort Benning address.
    5. Required fee - $80.00 cash or money order or $79.25 and a self-addressed, stamped envelope payable to Probate Court.

    Pistol Permit applications are processed through the Probate Court Monday through Friday from 8:30AM to 5:00PM.
    Sheriff's Office fingerprinting hours are Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 11:30AM and 1:00PM to 4:30PM.
  • Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?
  • No, you may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.
  • Who is required to wear a bicycle helmet?
  • Georgia law requires that a bicycle rider or passenger under 16 years of age must wear a helmet that meets the nationally recognized standards for bicycle helmets. It is also unlawful to rent a bicycle to a person under 16 years of age unless the person has an approved helmet, or one is provided with the bicycle. Violations of the law relating to bicycle helmets subject the violator to issuance of a traffic citation.
  • Where can I get legal advice?
  • You must contact an attorney. The Sheriff's Office does not give legal advice.
  • What can I do about stray dogs and cats and barking dogs?
  • Animal Care & Control Center is the city agency responsible for calls involving dogs and cats. Their number is (706) 653-4512.
  • How much is someone's bond?
  • You must call the Muscogee County Jail, (706) 653-4258.
  • How do I have a civil paper served?
  • The Operations Bureau will serve civil papers after the Courts issue them.
  • How can I evict someone from my property?
  • Eviction is a legal process that often times requires a court order. Call the Municipal Court office at (706) 653-4378 for more information.
  • How do I get a restraining order?
  • The Sheriff's Office DOES NOT issue restraining orders. Restraining Orders can only be obtained through an attorney and the courts. The Sheriff's Office is responsible for serving, maintaining, and enforcing all restraining orders on file after they have been ordered and issued by the Courts.
  • What is a protective order?
  • Protective orders are issued to prevent acts of domestic violence against a person or to prevent a person from stalking, intimidating, or harassing another person. Both civil and criminal courts issue protective orders. The types of protection orders issued and the information contained in them varies from state to state.
  • How do I get a protective order?
  • The Sheriff's Office DOES NOT issue protective orders. As with restraining orders, protective orders are issued only by the Courts. The Sheriff's Office is responsible for serving, maintaining, and enforcing all protective orders on file after they have been ordered and issued by the Courts.
  • Where do I Get a Warrant?
  • All warrants are taken out on the 8th Floor of the Government Center through the Municipal Court.

Still have a question? If so, please contact us by calling (706) 653-4225 or e-mail us at muscosheriff@columbusga.org