Frequently Asked Questions
  • What if I get a traffic ticket?
  • Georgia law considers a traffic citation (ticket) as an arrest for a traffic infraction, even though you weren't taken into custody. To properly dispose of it, you have two options:

    First, you may post a cash bond with Recorder's Court and not appear in court to contest the citation. This will be considered a guilty plea. The bond must be posted at least one hour prior to your scheduled court time. When you do not appear in court, your bond will be forfeited. The money at that time will be considered a fine and your driving history will reflect a conviction for the offense(s) with which you were charged. The officer who issued you the citation is not allowed to quote a bond amount to you. You must call Recorder's Court at (706) 653-4256. Bonds may be mailed to the Court but they should be sent early enough to arrive prior to the court date. Only money orders are accepted. Do not send cash or checks. The mailing address is Recorder's Court, 702 10th St., Columbus, GA 31901.

    Second, you may appear in court to contest the citation. You must be in court on the date and time listed on the citation or the Court may issue a Contempt of Court warrant for failure to appear. This could result in simply setting another court date or being arrested. This will be done at the discretion of the court not the officer. If you feel the citation was wrong, you must appear in Recorder's Court to contest it. Once the citation is issued, the officer is not allowed to revoke it. Only Recorder's Court is allowed to dispose of it.

    In Recorder's Court, your name will be called and both you and the officer will be allowed to approach the bench and tell the judge "your side of the story." You should bring any evidence or witnesses with you at that time. If you feel you need an attorney, he or she should be contacted prior to the court date so his/her schedule can be adjusted in order to appear with you.

    A police officer is not allowed to advise you on how you should handle your case in court. If you need assistance, contact an attorney.

    Georgia Law allows a person who is charged with a traffic offense to reduce his/her fine, by up to 20%, by taking a driver improvement course, provided the course is completed prior to the Court appearance. In addition, no points would be assessed on the license. A person may only use this provision of the law once every five years. Officers are given specific days to assign cases to Court. Should your Court date not allow you to complete the driver improvement course, you must get a time extension from the Recorder's Court.
  • How do I rate the Columbus Police Department?
  • The Columbus Police Department has created an opinion survey, to better judge the communities overall view of the department. You may submit your rating online at:
  • How do I make a complaint against an officer?
  • Complete instructions on how to make a complaint against an officer can be found here
  • What kind of weapons do Columbus Police Officers carry?
  • The most visible weapon is the firearm. Officers are issued a Smith & Wesson model M&P, 9mm, semi-automatic pistol. Patrol officers also use a special holster designed to protect him or her by making it almost impossible for anyone but the officer to remove the weapon. Officers also have available the ASP collapsible batons. These replace the nightstick or "billy club" that police used to carry. When being carried, it is approximately 8 inches long. When necessary, it can be expanded to approximately 18" to be used as defensive protection for the officer. Officers also carry "OC spray", also known as "pepper spray." This is a special formulation of derivatives of the pepper plant known as oleo capsicum. It is a disabling weapon used for combatant individuals. OC spray is painful but not actually harmful to an individual. Some officers also carry a hand weapon known as a "Taser." This device shoots electrodes at a disruptive subject and the ensuing electrical impulses disrupt superficial muscle functions causing most individuals to become compliant. Depending on the type or severity of a situation, other weapons may be available to the patrol officer or to other specially trained officers but are not normally carried by all police officers. These weapons include shotguns, "pepper ball" guns, "bean bag" guns and others. All officers are required to qualify annually with each weapon they are allowed to use, i.e., they must show proficiency with each of the weapons to be allowed to use it.
  • What is required to become a Columbus Police Officer?
  • Visit the Protect Columbus website to get more information concerning eligibility.
  • How can I get a copy of a vehicle accident or incident report?
  • Reports are generally filed by the patrol officers at the end of their shift, so reports are usually available within approximately 48 hours of the report being taken. The Georgia Open Records Act limits access to motor vehicle accident reports to those people involved in the accident and their insurers. They are not available for public inspection.
    For your convenience, obtaining a copy of your crash report is easier than ever. Simply go to and enter the information on the card given to you by the officer at the scene. You'll be able to view, download, and print your report for a fee of $11.00; or
    If you are in the area of the Columbus Police Department, located at 510 10th Street, you can pick up a copy of the report. You should appear in person with enough identifying information about the incident (names, date, etc.) for the officer to locate the report.
    Go to ยป
  • What information or support is available to victims?
  • Someone committed a crime against me, what do I do? Get to a safe place and call 911. Once the police are called, give them your location and wait, and then make a report with as many details as possible. In some circumstances, you can call our report writing office at (706) 653-3208 or (706) 653-3215 to make a police report over the phone. A police officer will complete a report over the phone, or they will refer you to call 911 in order to have an officer respond to your location.

    What is the best source of information for victims after a report is filed? The Victim-Witness Office is your best resource and can be reached at (706) 653-4426 and They can walk you through everything on this FAQ page and much more.

    I'm a victim - what are my rights? The State of Georgia has defined the Crime Victims' Bill of Rights to ensure victims are treated fairly, informed, can participate if desired, and more. Financial assistance and Restitution are also covered further down in this document. The full set of rights are located on the Georgia Victims Bill of Rights website.

    The accused has been arrested, is (s)he still in jail? There are three ways to know the inmate's status.
    I. Online: To search for an inmate using the Sheriff's website, you must know their first and last name.
    II. Jail: Inmates that committed crimes in Muscogee County are generally held in the Muscogee County Jail, call (706) 653-4258.
    III. Victim-Witness Office: Please call or email us at
    IV. If you are a victim of domestic violence, the Muscogee County Sheriff's Department must attempt to contact the victim before releasing the defendant from their facility.

    What will happen next? Typically, within 72 hours of the arrest, the defendant will have their "First Appearance" at the Preliminary Hearing. The Preliminary Hearing is also known as the Probable Cause Hearing because a judge must find "probable cause" for the arrest. Please note that "probable cause" does not mean they have been found guilty, but only that there is enough information to proceed to the next step. As the victim, you may receive a summons for the Preliminary Hearing that is held in Recorder's Court (702 E 10th Street Columbus, GA 31901). However, you should be aware that, even if you receive the summons, the defendant may not have a hearing if they post bond or invoke their right to waive the hearing.

    What happens after the Preliminary Hearing? For traffic offenses and misdemeanors, the accused will be prosecuted in state court by the Muscogee County Solicitor General. For felonies and violent crimes, the accused will be prosecuted in Superior Court by the Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit's District Attorney's Office. If you haven't been contacted yet, it is strongly recommended that you contact the Victim-Witness Office (706-653-4426).

    Is there financial assistance available for the victim? The Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program helps victims of violent crimes with expenses like medical, counseling, lost wages, funeral expenses and crime scene clean up. You may also be entitled to "Restitution", which is a monetary amount for victims', paid by the defendant during their probation period, to assist in making a victim "whole". Reach out to a Compensation Specialist at the Victim Advocacy Office at (706) 653-4426 or, or visit Georgia Crime Victims Compensation Program online. Many of the requirements for financial assistance are time-sensitive, so please reach out quickly.

    What else can I do to protect myself from the accused? With adequate reasoning, a victim can request a Temporary Protective Order (TPO) through the Clerk of Superior Court.
  • How do I file a report?
  • You can file a report by calling 911. In some situations, an officer will be dispatched to your location. If you are reporting a minor offense that does not require immediate attention, you may be referred to the report taking officer who will take your report by phone. You can also visit the Police Department at 510 E 10th St. between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm and speak with an officer.
  • How do I get a copy of my filed police report?
  • You may obtain a copy of a police report by requesting it in person at the Police Department between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm. Reports are generally available after 48 hours. Accident reports can be purchased online through
    For non-accident reports, you may also go to the Reports page on the Columbus Police Department website. Fill out the request form and click the submit button. Your requested will be processed and a redacted version of the report will be provided via email.
  • What happens after I file a report?
  • Reports of misdemeanor crimes are generally handled by the responding patrol officer. The officer will follow up on investigative leads to clear the case. If no leads are available, those reports will be maintained but will not be assigned to an investigator.
    When Felony offenses are reported, the initial officer may work the case. If he is unable to clear it, the report will be forwarded to the Bureau of Investigative Services where it will be evaluated by a supervisor. The case may be assigned to an investigator or placed in inactive status if no leads are available. If the case is assigned to an investigator, the investigator will contact you for follow-up. This contact generally occurs within five days of the initial report.
  • How can I get an update on my case?
  • If your report involved a felony and it is assigned to an investigator, the investigator will provide you with his contact information. Any future questions you have can be directed to the assigned investigator.
    If your report was not assigned to an investigator, you can contact the officer you created the report or contact the department.
  • How will I know if my case has been closed?
  • The investigator assigned to your case will provide you with periodic updates on the status of your case.
    If your report was not assigned to an investigator, you can contact the officer you created the report or contact the department.