Recycling in Columbus is easy and convenient.
Our curbside program has been designed for customer convenience and simplicity. Just place your recyclables in your blue cart and put it out at the curbside on your collection day.
Recycling Center Location Maps
Here is how it works -
First call the Citizens Service Center at (706) 653-4000 to order a blue cart which will be delivered to your home with instructions at no cost to the customer. Collection is once a week on one of your garbage days. Please refer to the Collection Days page for your recycling day.
Recycling History in Columbus -
In late 1992, the City of Columbus introduced the Recycling Pilot Program. It consisted of four areas with 1,000 homes in each area. The initial purpose of this program was to gather information and determine the best collection method, what material to recycle, what the collection days would be for the different areas and what type container to use for collection.
One year later, thirteen new subdivisions were added to the Pilot Program, as well as a voluntary recycling program outside of the Pilot Program area. With such success, in 1994, the City of Columbus implemented its voluntary city wide recycling program.
In 2013, The new Recycling and Sustainability Center, located at 8001 Pine Grove Way, Columbus Ga 31907 opened. This new Single Stream recycling facility features a LEED certified building, an educational center, and a large capacity production center. There are free tours to the general public, schools and groups of interested people.
In May 2021, Waste Collections started an automated recycling program. New trucks with an automatic arm grabs the blue cart from the curb and empties into the truck. This reduces the amount of inmates on the street and increases the speed of collections per house. Additional recycling carts were purchased which allowed more households to participate in the recycling program.
Things we gladly accept
- Plastic #1 through #7 (no plastic bags or plastic straws; items should be rinsed and clean)
- Cardboard (please flatten)
- Paper - all types including Envelopes, Magazines, Junk Mail, etc.
- Aluminum Cans and foil (items should be rinsed and clean)
- Steel Cans (items should be rinsed and clean)
- Please download the Columbus GA Recycles app and utilize the What Goes Where feature to search for your questionable item
A few things we cannot accept
(These items can be properly disposed of for a fee at the Pine Grove Landfill.)
- Plastic Bags: Please visit the following link to find a drop off point in your area: http://abagslife.com/georgia/
- Items that can tangle (Christmas lights, hoses, cords, or chains)
- Medical Needles or Syringes
- All batteries including Lithium Ion Batteries: Please visit the following link to find a lithium ion drop off point in your area: https://www.call2recycle.org/locator/
- Plastic Toys
- Car Parts
- Recycling a Vehicle: Google "donate my car", "recycle my car", or "salvage yards" in Columbus GA. Some businesses will take old boats, tractors, etc. Some may pay cash for your vehicle, or give you a tax deduction for donating your unneeded vehicle. There are also programs to donate your unneeded vehicle to veterans, families in need, charities, etc. available online.
- Wax Coated Containers
- Wrapping paper
Helping Us to Help You
Do your part to help the environment and help us save the landfill space!
Benefits of recycling:
- Reduced litter
- Cleaner neighborhoods, playgrounds and retail establishments
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Prevents Pollution
Mobile Recycling Sites
Recycle Drop Off Trailer Locations
Georgia Welcome Center
1751 Williams Road
Columbus, GA 31904
Cooper Creek Park
4816 Milgen Road
Columbus, GA 31907
8001 Pine Grove Way
Columbus, GA 31907
Victory Drive Site
#25, 22nd Ave.
Columbus, GA 31901
Across from Carl Gregory behind the Summit)
Drop off trailer locations map
Open in a new window
Those who recycle help protect the health and wellbeing of people and the environment, and help support growth in our state's green economy with more jobs. As natural resources become scarcer and manufacturing costs rise, recycling is more important than ever. That is why we are asking you to support: Columbus Recycles !!