Person's with Disabilities
(706) 653-4492 TTY phone: (706) 225-3629
S.T.A.R. After-School Program
Pop Austin Recreation Center
1331 Alexander Street
Columbus, GA 31904 ... read more »»
Specialized Therapeutic After-School Recreational Program. This after-school program is for Muscogee County School District students ages 8-17!
- Small Group (Staff-to-Participant ratio of 1:7)
- Maximum number of 15 students will be enrolled.
- Monday - Friday 2:30pm - 6:00pm
- Transportation is not provided to / from program.
The Mayor's Commission for Persons with Disabilities (MCPD) is a liaison between the Columbus Consolidated Government and the estimated 30,000 plus people with disabilities in our community. The mission of the MCPD is to improve the quality of life for individuals with disabilities with in Muscogee County.
The MCPD advocates in general for the right to self-determination and equal opportunities for persons with disabilities
The general purpose of the MCPD is:
- To identify employment barriers for persons with disabilities.
- Promote employment opportunities by raising awareness of the benefits of hiring people with disabilities
- Educate the public, government agencies, and businesses about issues, needs, and rights of individuals with disabilities
- Assist in identifying and reducing barriers to services and resources and encouraging ADA compliance
- Collaborate with state and national agencies to facilitate services to individuals with disabilities
This commission's success has made it a model for organizations throughout Georgia and Alabama. Our goals are to conceive and conduct programs and projects that will meet the needs of people with disabilities and promote enhancement of their quality of life.
The commission seeks to serve all persons with disabilities, including those with:
Executive Committee Schedule for 2019The Executive Committee meets once a month. These meetings are open meetings. Everyone is welcome.
- Jan. 15
- Feb. 19
- Mar. 19
- April 16
- May 21
- June 18
All meetings are 12:00noon -1:00pm will be held at the Goodwill in Cross Country Office Plaza (Macon Road, Building A.)
Web Resources Links
- Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
- Columbus Library for Accessible Services
- Georgia Tech: Tools for Life
- Office of Disability Employment Policy
- The Speak Foundation
- The Better Way Foundation
- Georgia's Aging and Disability Resource Connection
- Muscogee County Autism Support Group, Inc.
- New Horizons
- Easter Seals
- Georgia Department of Vocational Rehabilitation
Here's How You Can Help
VOLUNTEER - Volunteers are needed to help plan, promote and participate in projects and programs designed to meet the ever changing needs of people with disabilities.
GIVE - Funds are needed for projects and events the committee sponsors for persons with disabilities, their families and supporters.
JOIN - The Mayor's Commission needs people who will dedicate time and energy to this important cause. If you wish to become an active member, call the office at (706) 653-4492.
COMMUNICATE - Your input--ideas and suggestions--can help the commission be more effective. If you have a disability, or if you are a family member or friend of a person with a disability, the Mayor's Commission needs to hear from you. It's a way you can help us to help you.
According to the Columbus METRA Transit System (METRA), nearly 30% of the customers riding METRA have some form of disability. METRA also transported more than 1.1 million customers in FY2015 on its fixed Route and Para-transit buses combined.
Emergency Contacts Information Application
The Mayor's Commission for Persons with Disabilities have been working with Muscogee County Health Department, along with others, developing plans for a Special Needs Emergency Shelter in cases of emergencies for the disabled. Please update your information each year. ...Emergency Contacts Information Application »»
National Federation of the Blind - Request for Mentor
The mission of a mentor is to help the mentee achieve a level of confidence where he or she can function in this society as any other person would. ...request for Mentor Form »»